When companies use email marketing, they usually focus on sending out blast or mass emails to everyone who has signed up for their email list. Many businesses, however, overlook the 1:1 effective email marketing strategy. One of the best practices in email marketing, the 1:1 format focuses on building a Rolodex of personal connections for your business.
Before the rise of computers, smartphones and tablets, secretaries would keep a little paper Rolodex full of contacts for the business. This included partnered businesses, competitors, vendors, customers, and more. With email software, all businesses store all of their contacts in a virtual address book. This makes it easy to focus on 1:1 marketing strategies. 1:1 emails can include:
- A friendly note or reminder to the customer
- A pitch to a prospective customer or client
- Replies to support and help desk requests
- Reminders on invoices to partners or vendors
The most beneficial tool for 1:1 emails in your toolbox are going to be the email signature. The email signature provides a lot of options for engaging and communicating with your customers, prospects and partners, far beyond just listing out your contact information.
Why should the email signature be part of your healthy marketing and campaign diet? Lots of reasons, including:
- Signatures help enforce your brand. The email signature is a great opportunity to represent and reinforce your brand with colors, style, and information. Remember, every email going out the door is a brand impression. Make it a positive one.
- Signatures can help grow your community. You can add links to your business’ website, blog, or social media accounts. This is a great opportunity to improve your standing on social media platforms by subtly reminding your contacts to Like your Facebook Page or Follow you on Twitter. You can even personalize your signature just for business partners with direction to your LinkedIn company profile.
- Signatures can create leads. When you focus on 1:1 marketing to prospective customers, drive them to product info, new content or even conferences can help drive traffic, conversions and revenue.
- Signatures make you look professional. When you do them right, a signature will add a touch of class and professionalism to your brand, making customers and partners feel special to have that connection.
When you start organizing your contacts and create an excellent signature to direct contacts to learn more about your business, you can take advantage of the 1:1, or peer-to-peer email marketing strategy. Ignoring 1:1 means ignoring one of the best practices in marketing.